Other ways to pay for care

Editor:

Re: Hospital parking fees ‘stress’ patients, docs say, Dec. 1.

Editor:

Re: Hospital parking fees ‘stress’ patients, docs say, Dec. 1.

As someone who has had to visit Vancouver General Hospital several times recently, I was appalled to discover their extortionate parking fees. It takes an editorial from the Canadian Medical Association Journal to bring this disgraceful situation to everyone’s attention.

Now we see the BC Liberals trying to spin this story of one more tax on a section of the population.

They claim that these so-called fees are “needed to pay for capital equipment.” Nonsense. Revenues for medical care are aggregated together into one account and then allocated based on political thinking by the stooges appointed directly by the B.C. government.

Reductions in both the number and massive salaries of health-care “administrators” would go a long way in making B.C. voters recognize that we have a fair and economic health system.

Fees and surcharges have been some of the sneaky ways this government has used to take more cash out of B.C. taxpayers’ pockets without appearing to increase income taxes.

The fact that a “lucky few” – who have their taxes kept low so they can buy private rooms in our hospitals – are getting free parking illustrates the two-tier society that our leaders wish to impose on B.C.

It is also disgusting to see that health workers are also being gouged by this government, as they often have to drive to the hospitals where they work. The pathetic excuses being used to avoid being swamped by free parkers was already addressed in the editorial – ticket validation has been used by merchants for years.

When Delta municipality can ban these types of charges, it shows how truly political is this action.

It is disappointing that the NDP have not already brought up this issue and promised to ban these charges by raising taxes on the top 10 per cent – not one per cent – to ensure that the other 90 per cent of the population get first-class medical service.

Herbert Spencer, Surrey

 

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Surrey Police’s role in Barnston Island still needs ‘to be looked at’

Surrey RCMP polices unincorporated island a short ferry ride across Parson’s Channel

Surrey looking into reducing residential speed limits

Surrey city council on Feb. 24 approved five ‘key pillars’ of a Surrey Transportation Plan

Fate of five-district policing model in Surrey rests with new police board

Whalley/City Centre, Guildford/Fleetwood, Newton, Cloverdale, and South Surrey districts formed under McCallum’s watch in 1998

Notorious South Surrey fugitive captured in California to face murder trial in Canada

Brandon Nathan Teixeira submitted to extradition during court proceedings Thursday in Sacramento

Better Nudes Gardens at White Rock’s Pop-Uptown Gallery

Figurative studies, floral images, vintage wareables abound in exhibit

Toddler killed in Squamish grocery store parking lot

Child’s mother taken to hospital but her condition is not known

Two law enforcement trucks ‘deliberately’ set on fire in northern B.C., RCMP say

Police say they have video evidence of a person in the area of the truck fires

B.C. mother, daughter return home after coronavirus quarantine in Asia

Jensine Morabito and her daughter were on Holland America’s Westerdam but did not catch the virus

Leap Year means we get an extra day in February, so how are you spending it?

People online have a number of suggestions and plans on how they will be spending Saturday

Greta sticker that drew outrage in Alberta not child pornography: RCMP

X-Site Energy Services has denied having anything to do with the stickers

Bald eagle hit by train in northern B.C. has a chance of survival

The raptor has been taken to OWL in the Lower Mainland for recovery

Cheslatta Carrier Nation and Rio Tinto sign a historic agreement

Co-operation crucial to stem dropping Nechako Reservoir level

Hundreds of B.C. firefighters ‘climb the wall’ for BC Lung Association

The charity fundraiser saw participants climbing up 48 storeys

Most Read

l -->