FC Dallas midfielder Mauro Diaz (10) makes a pass to Tesho Akindele past Vancouver defender Jordan Harvey (2) in the first half of an MLS playoff soccer match

Late penalty kick costs Whitecaps playoff game

Late penalty kick costs Whitecaps in 2-1 playoff loss to FC Dallas

By Andrew Friedlander, The Canadian Press

FRISCO, Texas – A late penalty-kick goal created by a controversial handball call brought the Vancouver Whitecaps’ season to a frustrating end.

Midfielder Michel stutter-stepped and slid his unmolested shot into the left side of the net in the 84th minute as Vancouver goalkeeper David Ousted dived in the other direction to give FC Dallas a 2-1 victory in the knockout round of Major League Soccer’s Western Conference playoffs Wednesday night.

Dallas (17-12-6) will face Seattle in the two-game conference semifinal.

The loss ended the Whitecaps’ five-game unbeaten streak and closed out a season in which Vancouver (12-9-14) advanced to the post-season for the second time in its MLS history. The club has now lost all six of its games at FC Dallas’s Toyota Stadium.

This one just hurt more than the others.

“It was a big decision given the magnitude of the game,” defender Andy O’Brien said. “But these are things that happen.

“The game kicks you between the legs sometimes, and that’s how it feels tonight.”

The most painful kick came from referee Mark Geiger, who awarded a penalty when a bouncing ball in the Vancouver box barely glanced off the right arm of Kendall Waston as the Whitecaps defender tried to put his hands behind his back. The Vancouver players protested vehemently, but the call stood.

“Waston deliberately handled the ball, hence the PK was called,” Geiger said.

Waston disagreed with the “deliberate” part.

“I tried to put my hand on the back of my body and the ball hit me,” he said. “That’s different than putting your hand on the ball. But that was the decision of the referee. I respect it, but I don’t approve it.”

The Whitecaps had extended their shutout streak to 432 minutes — surpassing a run of 427 minutes in 2012 as the longest in club history — before watching that streak disappear in the 40th minute thanks to FC Dallas’s surprise starter.

Midfielder Mauro Diaz, making his first start since Aug. 9 and only his 10th in an injury-plagued season, turned a sliver of space into a dangerous run, slipping past O’Brien and Waston near midfield to break into the clear.

When defender Jordan Harvey came out to challenge Diaz, he slid a deft pass to Calgary-born Tesho Akindele, who fired a low shot just inside the far post for a 1-0 lead.

“I tried to stick my butt out into the guy (Diaz), and I thought Kendall was going to come and clean out,” O’Brien said. “But he nicked past him and then he was gone.”

Down and seemingly out — FC Dallas had dominated possession and scoring chances in the first half — the Whitecaps rose to tie the match with a stunning goal in the 64th minute, the climax of an inspired second-half effort.

The play began with a floating free kick into the Dallas box by Mauro Rosales that pinballed around before popping out to second-half substitute Kekuta Manneh. Manneh’s shot was blocked, but the ball fell at the feet of Erik Hurtado, and the Whitecaps forward slammed it past keeper Chris Seitz on the right side to give his team life.

Then it slipped away, to the sound of a whistle.

“I questioned my team at halftime because I thought we played with a little bit of fear,” Whitecaps coach Carl Robinson said. “The second half was the total opposite. My team gave me everything I asked and more. The performance they put in in the second half was not worthy of losing this game.

“We’ve got Mauro Rosales in there, who’s 33 years of age and who’s been very successful, and he’s crying his eyes out in there because he feels the result wasn’t what we deserved. And I agree with him.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Surrey man’s extensive report calls city’s policing claims ‘unsubstantiated garbage’

Surrey’s Richard Landale has taken public engagement to a whole new level

474 Surrey intersections monitored by live-feed cameras

Cameras prove to be useful tool for commuters, ICBC, RCMP

White Rock woman seeks fellow hockey players for BC 55+ Games

Sue Rittinger aiming to put Zone 3 women’s team together in time for September event

Surrey’s Eat the Dishes named finalist in Small Business BC awards

Marissa Bergeron says she ‘jumped for joy’ when she found out

Surrey RCMP investigating sexual allegation against Delta police officer

One officer suspended while the alleged off-duty incident involving another officer is investigated

VIDEO: Rare ‘ice circle’ spotted on Kamloops river

An ice circle or ice pan, has formed in the chilly waters just east of the Yellowhead Bridge

B.C. man rescued after getting trapped headfirst in well as water level rose

The rescue involved crews from Oak Bay and Saanich

Investigators in wildfire-torn Australia head to site of B.C. airtanker crash

The B.C. government sends condolences to Port Alberni-owned Coulson Aviation

Mud slide prompts evacuation in Burnaby as rain saturates southern B.C.

About 20 metres of a five to six-metre high wall gave way

Former Mountie, sports coach convicted of sex abuse in B.C. granted day parole

Alan Davidson was sentenced to almost six years for abusing seven boys in the late 1970s and early 1990s

VIDEO: Person in wheelchair narrowly avoids collision with car in Kelowna

There were no injuries in the scary looking near-accident last week in Rutland

Here’s what Canada is doing to stop the coronavirus from getting in

Health officials are monitoring multiple possible cases in Canada

Fraser Valley poultry producer’s $130,000 fight with the CFIA earns him a red-tape award

Canadian Federation of Independent Business Paperweight Awards ‘honour’ government over-regulation

B.C. still struggling to control non-resident medical care fraud

Unpaid bills, out-of-province claimants a costly legacy of MSP

Most Read

l -->