The Kent Street Activity Centre is offering over 20 summer day excursions starting in June. Check out the summer recreation guide online and register at whiterockcity.ca/register. Registration is also available over the phone at 604-541-2199 or in person at the Kent Street Activity Centre, White Rock Community Centre and the Centennial Leisure Centre. Mini bus trips are filling up fast, so don’t delay – sign up today!
• The last Fresh & Lively Luncheon before the summer break is Friday, June 17. Kent Street Activity Centre and Brella Community Services Society sponsor these outreach luncheons for isolated seniors in the community. Spend the afternoon enjoying a delicious lunch and great entertainment. Pre-registration is required by calling 604-531-9400 ext. 201.
• Join longtime garden designer, forager and herbalist Teresa Klein to learn the basics for planting and care of an edible planter, plus she will introduce you to an array of flowers and plants easily found in both domestic and wild landscapes. Samples of these edible delights will be available for tasting. Call 604-541-2199 to sign up for this workshop on Monday, June 20, 10:30 a.m. to noon at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
• Learn how to protect yourself from the latest scams at a Fraud Awareness workshop on Wednesday June 22, 10 a.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. This workshop is co-sponsored with White Rock Community Policing. To register call 604-541-2199.
• Looking to try a fitness or yoga class this summer? Try out a variety of yoga or fitness classes this month before committing to a summer class. Check out the Recreation and Culture drop-in schedule available online at whiterockcity.ca/register and in-person at the one of our recreation centres.
• The Kent Street Activity Centre and the Semiahmoo Seniors Planning Table have partnered to offer free Zumba Gold classes once a month until August. Join Mary Lou Rust on June 29, July 19 and Aug. 9 for a one-hour Zumba Gold class at 1 p.m. followed by a nutritious snack.
Sign up for one class or all three. To register call 604-531-9400 ext. 220.
• Dance the night away at a Wednesday dance at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
A variety of live bands perform, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. and dancing from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. June 15 is the Silver Stars and June 29 is the Alpiners. Call 604-541-2231 for more information.
• Kent Street Activity Centre is currently seeking volunteers drivers for its seniors summer excursion program.
This is a fabulous opportunity for anyone who currently has a Class 2 or 4 driver’s licence and enjoys driving and interacting with older adults.
The mini bus is a 25-passenger vehicle and the day excursions take place around the Lower Mainland, Whistler and the Gulf Islands.
Trips are mainly daytime, weekend and evening. Drivers get free admission to the various venues and meals and snacks along the way. Destinations include Salt Spring Island, Sea to Sky Gondola, UBC and Stanley Park.
This is a perfect fit for a retired bus driver who may have some extra time to share.
Please contact Dianne at 604-541-2236 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231.