The Kent Street Activity Centre is looking for someone to oversee the coffee shop operation. This paid cook position will work with a team of volunteers to prepare a variety of delicious and healthy food options and frozen meals, for special events and to serve and sell at the coffee shop. Hours are Monday to Friday. If you have a love of cooking, catering experience and the ability to lead and supervise a team of amazing volunteers, we would love to hear from you. Please contact Dianne at 604-541-2236 or firstname.lastname@example.org. for more information.
• Enjoy a walking tour of the UBC Botanical Gardens and engage in the beauty of the natural world. Following lunch discover the plants, culture and traditions in the tranquil Nitobe Japanese Garden. This excursion on Aug. 4 includes admission to both gardens and guided tours. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• If you find yourself doing a mixture of travelling and staying home this summer then having the ability to drop into a yoga or fitness program when you are in town sounds like it might be a good fit. There are a variety of classes available at different facilities. Check out whiterockcity.ca/register to find one that best suits your schedule.
• On these hot summer days, why not cool down with a friendly game of Mah Jong in the air conditioned White Rock Community Centre every Monday, 1-3 p.m. Players should be able to count their hand. For more information call 604-541-2199 or pre-register for drop in at whiterockcity.ca/register
• A new summer excursion is being offered on Aug. 24 to A Rocha’s Brooksdale Environmental Centre. Enjoy a morning workshop to learn new tips and tricks for gardening in small spaces followed by lunch surrounded by the beautiful scenery the Centre has to offer. This trip is made possible by a Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Community Grant. Call 604-541-2199 to register or online at whiterockcity.ca/register
• Do you enjoy playing cribbage, whist or Canasta? Every Thursday afternoon from 1-3 p.m. you can drop down to the Kent Street Activity Centre and enjoy a friendly game or two. This Activity Group invites new members to check them out. You can drop into any Kent Street Activity group three times as a guest before purchasing membership. Ask for your guest pass on your first visit. Call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• Volunteer drivers are needed to take seniors on day excursions this summer and fall. Enjoy free meals and admission to a variety of fun destinations such as Salt Spring Island, Theatre Under the Stars, Lonsdale Quay and more. Class 2 or 4 driver’s licence required. Call 604-541-2231 for more information.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231.