Happy Canada Day!
See you at the waterfront for White Rock’s annual Canada Day celebration from 10a.m. to 10 p.m.
Bring your grandkids down for a fun day of free activities including a grand finale fireworks display at dusk.
Kent Street Activity Centre re-opens July 2 at 8:30 a.m.
• Are you looking to give back to your community, meet new people and assist others by lending a helping hand?
Please contact Kent Street Centre about joining the volunteer team.
Volunteers are needed to setup and take down chairs and tables, serve food and help with cleanup at the Friday Fresh & Lively Luncheons beginning in September.
This lunch program offers seniors a chance to stay connected with people and the community, providing a hot nutritious meal, excellent entertainment, and an opportunity to meet new people.
Please contact Kent Street Activity Centre at 604-541-2231 for more information.
• Kent Street Centre is brimming with opportunities to meet new people and participate in enjoyable, fun activities this summer.
If you are looking for a gentle sport that will keep you active through the summer, why not come to the centre every Wednesday and Friday from 10a.m. until noon for carpet bowling.
Please call 604-541-2231 for information or a guest pass.
• A few seats are still available on Friday, July 3, for a day trip of fun surprises on the Magnificent Mystery Tour.
On Sunday, July 19, spend the afternoon at Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors under the tents in Vanier Park.
Call 604-541-2199 to register for one of these exciting excursions.
• Give your meal the perfect ending with one of these individually portioned and totally portable desserts.
“Desserts in a Jar” will teach you how to make fruit crisps, mini fruit pies, cheesecakes and parfaits all in a jar on Saturday, July 4, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Enjoy a summer midweek hike led by an experienced and certified outdoor leader.
These Pace 2 hikes with an elevation gain of up to 800m are geared to adults 50+ who are physically active and average four hours of on-trail hiking.
Next hike Monday, July 6.
Transportation is included. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Learn basic mindfulness skills to reduce stress, depression, anxiety and other negative qualities while improving concentration, inner peace, health and quality of life.
Call 604-541-2199 to register for this workshop on Thursday, July 2, 6:30-8:30p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre.
• Get Up and Go 65+ still has space available and is an appropriate entry-level exercise program for seniors with balance and mobility impairments.
The class at the Kent Street Activity Centre on Mondays/Thursdays, 9:45-10:45a.m. is a safe exercise program specifically designed to improve strength, balance and coordination as well as functional ability, independence and quality of life.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.