By popular demand, we’ve added a second CBC Tour and Outdoor Concert on Monday, Aug. 12. Tour the CBC Vancouver building and learn about where our news is broadcast from.
Enjoy an entertaining outdoor concert showcasing West Coast musicians hosted by CBC. Register now by calling 604-541-2231.
• Hop on the White Rock Leisure Services mini-bus and let us take the worry out of getting to the PNE this year. With hundreds of performances and exhibits and more than 50 thrilling rides and attractions, The Fair at the Pacific National Exhibition is a rite of summer.
On Aug. 21, don’t miss the legendary concerts, superdogs, and – new this year – the Genghis Khan Exhibit.
The bus leaves at 10 a.m. and returns at approximately 6 p.m. Call 604-541-2231 to register; price includes transportation and admission.
• Try out the Balance Class 65+ starting Aug. 13 twice a week for three weeks.
Then register for the full 10-week course starting in September. If you have a lack of confidence when moving about your daily routine, or if you feel you need to hold onto furniture as you walk through the house, this course will show you how to gain the body strength you need to improve and maintain balance, and the self-assurance to move with ease through daily routines.
Begin with supported exercises and progress through specialized strength-training and balance movements, always working within your abilities.
The short course starts Aug. 13 at the Centre for Active Living in Centennial Park. Call 604-541-2199 for more details and to register.
• There are a few seats available for the Aug. 16 trip to Theatre Under The Stars in Stanley Park. How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying features some of the best songs ever written for the musical theatre.
The story revolves around a young, determined man, who with the help of the book with the same title, rises from his career as a window washer to become the chairman of the board.
The bus leaves at 5:10 p.m. giving you plenty of time for dinner in Stanley Park; or, pack a picnic.
Cost includes transportation and admission.
• Are you planning a trip abroad soon and need to tune up your Spanish? Stop in to the weekly Spanish Conversation Group at Kent Street on Thursday mornings at 10 a.m.
A variety of topics are discussed.
• Mah Jong meets all summer long in the Kent Street library.
Join this friendly group and play the American or Chinese versions on Mondays from 1-3 p.m. and Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-4:30 p.m.
Interested in learning? Watch for lessons starting in September.
• If you haven’t done so already, stop by one of the White Rock recreation centres to pick up your August copy of the Kent Street Update and find out what a senior connector volunteer can do for you.
• Come view the beautiful artwork of artist Jennifer Skillen for the Art on Display solo art show at the White Rock Community Centre. Artworks include paintings as well as beeswax encaustic on wood panel paintings.
Enjoy the light and colour of this expressive exhibition running from July 27 to Aug. 23.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.