Do you like to sing, dance, play an instrument or be a clown? If so, the Kent Street Showcase wants you!
Formerly the Kent Street Variety Show, this annual fundraising event supports the Kent Street Seniors Society and all proceeds from ticket sales will go to projects such as the coffee shop renovations.
If you wish to lend a helping hand by performing at this fun event (scheduled for May 18), call 604-541-2231. Shirley Logan, the event chairperson, will return your call and provide more details.
• The series of educational workshops titled, A Healthier You mentioned in last week’s column continues Thursday, Feb. 10 with How to Get a Great Sleep. A few spaces remain for this workshop. Call 604-541-2199 to reserve your spot.
The series continues Thursday, Feb. 24 between 10:30 a.m. and noon with Managing Blood Pressure and Cholesterol.
• Vancouver writer/photographer Lorne Mallin will be at the White Rock Community Centre Friday, Feb. 18 sharing his inspiring stories and slides from the year he spent in Uganda volunteering for the world’s largest anti-poverty organization.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Learning how other cultures live, work and play is both inspiring and educational. For those who wish to go on a visual journey to beautiful New Zealand, please join Maggie Rodgers for a colourful presentation Thursday, March 3 at the White Rock Community Centre. She will take you to both the north and south Islands of this amazing country without leaving the comfort of your chair. Register for these travel talks today by calling 604-541-2199.
• Are you finding your home too much to manage and have thought of downsizing? If your answer is yes, then we have just what you need. Don’t Agonize, Downsize is a fun and informative workshop that will teach you the short cuts to downsizing and moving forward with your life. Practical tips on where and how to start are given as well as useful resource information. This workshop is available Friday, Feb. 25 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre.
• Come in from the cold for Tea with the Stars, an afternoon movie and warm cup of tea. The feature presentation Wednesday, Feb. 9 will be Dear John, a romantic drama about a soldier who falls in love with a college student while he’s home on leave. Tea with the Stars is offered at the White Rock Community Centre.
• The Kent Street auditorium is open Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. for all those 50+ who enjoy live music, friendly people and social dancing. Tickets purchased at the door. Tonight’s live band is the popular Quartette.
The Kent Street Activity Centre at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities call 604-541-2231.