Sandi Chapman and Judy Jordison live on opposite sides of an excavation site where collapses have caused chunks of their properties to shear off.

Bobcat buried in White Rock site’s second slide

Neighbours critical of City of White Rock’s response, following second collapse at excavated site.

A worker was lucky to escape injury Monday when the wall of the White Rock excavation site he was working in collapsed, burying his bobcat in dirt and debris.

Sandi Chapman said she was eating breakfast when she heard the “major crash” as the temporary shoring gave way.

“I just jumped up,” she said. “I looked out the window, I saw the guy run.”

Chapman, who lives immediately west of the McDonald Avenue property, said after her initial fear that someone had been hurt was alleviated, frustration kicked in – built up from trying numerous times since mid-August to draw city and property officials’ attention to concerns with the work that was taking place.

“We questioned everything right from the beginning,” Chapman said Tuesday, citing the proximity of the excavation to her property as a key concern. “(Now), the integrity of our home could be jeopardized.”

Monday’s collapse happened just before 9 a.m. It was the second at the site this month; the first was logged Nov. 3, when a chunk of land – along with the lawn furniture sitting on it – from property immediately east of the site crashed into the excavation hole around 8 p.m.

Longtime tenant Judy Jordison said that event had the “rumble” of an earthquake and took at least 10 feet off of her side yard.

Chapman said she called the city after the first collapse, after noticing separation in the ground near an exterior staircase that climbs from her back patio to her raised backyard. Officials weren’t concerned, she said.

The staircase, along with part of Chapman’s fence, disappeared in Monday’s collapse. A crack has also appeared in the ground inches from the back corner of Chapman’s house.

“Our fence, it’s just dangling there,” she said. “When you exit our back door, we have no way up to our backyard at all – and there’s a big drop down.”

City media liaison Shannon Levesque confirmed the collapse is the second failure on record for the site, and that an independent geotechnical engineer will be reviewing the project as a result – news Chapman said she received by email shortly after the Peace Arch News called the city Tuesday morning regarding the issue.

Levesque told PAN the wooden retaining structure that gave way was “temporary shoring” used to stabilize the excavation during construction.

“It was another alternative rather than using shotcrete,” Levesque said, referring to a high-velocity concrete application commonly used in construction.

“It was found by the developer’s geotechnical engineer to be acceptable.”

Chapman said while the builder came to her and her husband with a shotcreting agreement, “they never got back to us” to clarify specific aspects and proceeded with a different shoring method.

WorkSafeBC spokesperson Megan Johnston said a stop-work order was placed on the site following the collapse and work “will not proceed until our officers are satisfied that it can proceed safely.”

Johnston said preliminary information indicates the workers were on a break when the collapse occurred.

Chapman said she is grateful no one was injured, but she can’t help but think the whole situation could have been prevented.

“We saw it happening. We were scared. And it took this for them (to respond). It’s such a big let-down that the city didn’t stay on top of it.”

 

Just Posted

Surrey man wanted on Canada-wide warrant for drug trafficking turns himself in

Police had issued a public appeal for information in mid-June

VIDEO: Surrey man charged after dangerous driving incident in Vancouver

Toyota Camry spotted doing laps in intersection, driving towards pedestrians

Surrey brewpub’s 20th-year ‘Cask Off’ championship belt won by its head brewer

‘Jason’s Mimosa’ among crafty creations at annual competition

Surrey RCMP provide summer safety tips as school lets out

Police say they will continue to ‘proactively engage’ with youth in a number of programs this summer

Former Surrey man charged with fraud, theft and using forged documents

Johny Panyavong, 26, was arrested in Ontario on June 18 and released on $5,000 bail in Surrey

VIDEO: Clip of driver speeding past B.C. school bus alarms MLA

Laurie Throness of Chilliwack-Kent says he will lobby for better safety measures

Former Vernon Judo coach pleads guilty to child pornography charges

Bryan Jeffrey McLachlan is set to return to court Sept. 4 for sentencing

B.C. Olympic skier sues Alpine Canada after coach’s sex offences

Bertrand Charest was convicted in 2017 on 37 charges

Former Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo to retire

‘Bobby Lou’ calls it a career after 19 NHL seasons

Man charged in crash that killed B.C. pregnant woman

Frank Tessman charged for 2018 Highway 1 accident where Kelowna elementary school teacher died

Province unveils 10-year plan to boost mental health, addiction recovery services

The plan, called A Pathway to Hope, focuses on early-intervention services that are seeing high demand

Man arrested for alleged indecent act after ‘predatory’ SkyTrain incident

A woman had reported the man had exposed himself while on the train on April 29

Two helicopters reportedly seized by RCMP near U.S. border south of Cultus Lake

Federal Mounties mum on raid two weeks after dramatic raid reported by Columbia Valley residents

Most Read

l -->