The scene of the police-involved shooting of Brendon Beddow (below) in Crescent Beach.

The scene of the police-involved shooting of Brendon Beddow (below) in Crescent Beach.

Crescent Beach gunman threatened girlfriend, inquest hears

An inquest into the March 2011 police-shooting death of Surrey's Brendon Beddow got underway Monday.

A young man killed by police in Crescent Beach two years ago was warned several times to drop hisBrendon Beddow weapon before shots rang out, a jury tasked to determine the facts heard Monday.

A witness testifying at the inquest into the death of Brendon Samuel Beddow told coroner Margaret Janzen he heard police give the order “eight to 10” times, followed by four shots.

“He said, ‘Brendon, drop your gun. We will shoot you… put the gun down,’” Eric Benetti, who had been working nearby, recalled of the officer’s words that afternoon.

Police were dispatched to the 3000-block of McBride Avenue around 2 p.m. March 23, 2011, after a woman called 911 to report a domestic disturbance. Peace Arch News reported at the time that officers who arrived at a Spanish-style home moments later were confronted by a man, and shots were exchanged.

An earlier investigation by Vancouver Police Department cleared the officers involved in Beddow’s death of any criminal wrongdoing.

Monday, as Beddow’s mother listened, a woman identified only as Beddow’s girlfriend testified that the 23-year-old had showed up uninvited at the house where she was staying and became violent with her.

“Choking, kicking, pushing,” the woman said. “From what I remember, Brendon said he was going to kill me and then kill himself.”

Asked by inquest counsel Rodrick MacKenzie if she had seen a gun, the woman replied, “he always had guns.”

Over the course of her testimony, she confirmed that both she and Beddow were under the influence of drugs at the time; that Beddow was known to use cocaine, heroin, crack and other drugs; that Beddow owed people a lot of money; and that she knew of two previous suicide attempts by Beddow.

The woman – who answered many questions with one word, and often paused before doing so – told the inquest she locked Beddow out following the threat, but that instead of leaving, he went around to the back of the house and used a chair to smash through heavy glass doors to get back in.

At that point, she ran next door – where Benetti and fellow carpenter Kris Elvevoll were working – and hid upstairs. Shortly after, she heard “yelling, swearing, gunshots.”

Benetti said the woman’s arrival was the second time she had been on the neighbour’s property that day, and that he had seen Beddow push her during a verbal altercation shortly before. About five minutes later, she came to the workers and told them “he’s trashing the place.” She appeared to be on the phone with police at the same time, he said.

“Because we were scared for her safety, we took her into the house we were working on, locked the door” and told her to wait in an upstairs closet, Benetti said.

Police arrived and “right away” drew their guns, Benetti said.

Benetti described both Beddow and the young woman as “quite agitated… maybe high on something.” He could not see if Beddow had a gun, but said the woman told him, when asked, that there was one in the house.

Elvevoll testified he didn’t give the initial altercation between Beddow and the woman much weight, and said he didn’t hear anything about Beddow possibly having a gun.

Regarding the verbal exchange between Beddow and police, he said Beddow was “kind of crazy with rage,” repeatedly swearing at the officers when they ordered him to drop his gun.

Witness Linda D’onofrio described seeing Beddow waving a gun back and forth in front of the officers and hearing him swearing at them repeatedly as they ordered him to drop the gun. Then, she heard five pops.

“It was surreal,” D’onofrio said of the incident. “I think it took a while for it to sink in that this was really happening.”

A total of 19 witnesses are expected to testify at the inquest, which is scheduled for three days in Burnaby. MacKenzie told the jury they will hear evidence that Beddow was killed by a gunshot wound to the chest, but that he also had “a level of cocaine within a lethal range” in his system.

It is up to the jury to determine the facts surrounding Beddow’s death. They cannot make findings of legal responsibility, but may make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths under similar circumstances.

Beddow’s death was the second police-shooting fatality in less than a month. Three weeks earlier, 28-year-old Adam Purdie was killed following a police chase in South Surrey.

An inquest last month into Purdie’s death offered four recommendations, including that dash cameras be installed in all active police patrol cars.

 

Just Posted

William Henry Rawlison was last seen on Sunday, June 20, 2021. (Contributed photo)
Police looking for missing White Rock senior

William Rawlison, last seen on June 20, may be driving to Kamloops

Natalie Brown and Colten Wilke star in the feature film Thunderbird, co-produced by South Surrey-raised Michael Morrison and released this month in Canada, the U.S and the U.K. (Contributed photo)
South Surrey-raised producer helps bring ‘Thunderbird’ to the screen

Michael Morrison guides B.C.-shot thriller with First Nations connection

File photo
Surrey Board of Trade vows ‘a lot of noise’ will be made about tax increases

Huberman calls for comprehensive tax review at all levels of government

2019 Red Serge Gala guests try their luck at roulette. (Simon Lau photo)
High hopes for in-person Red Serge Gala on Semiahmoo Peninsula

28th fundraiser for community safety programs set for Oct. 23 return

TEASER PHOTO ONLY - Hillcrest Drive-In's sign at the end its run in Surrey, in a photo uploaded to cinematreasures.org by hermangotlieb.
SURREY NOW & THEN: The city’s last drive-in, Hillcrest showed movies for 50 years on site turned shopping mall

‘It was a good memory, being the last drive-in in the Lower Mainland, at the time,’ says former operator Jay Daulat

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

By protesting uninvited in First Nations’ territories, conservationists are acting in a neocolonial or paternalistic manner, says Huu-ay-aht Chief Robert Dennis. Photo by Heather Thomson
A closer look: do Vancouver Island First Nations support the war in the woods?

First Nations/environmentalist old growth alliance uneasy, if it exists at all

Most Read