A section of the under-construction Newport project was to be adjusted following the discovery its height exceeded what is allowed by about four inches.

Four-inch dilemma for White Rock project

Newport development 'must comply' with height restrictions, city says

Work on a Marine Drive commercial/residential project hit a glitch recently, when it was discovered that a section of the under-construction development had been built higher than allowed.

White Rock city manager Dan Bottrill confirmed last week that officials behind the Newport complex approached city staff “weeks ago” regarding a discrepancy of about four inches.

“It was apparently a short conversation between staff and Newport,” Bottrill told Peace Arch News. “I don’t know the details other than they wanted to inquire as to whether this is something the city would be open to. We said no.

“They’re going to be making adjustments so that it (is) within the (allowed) height.”

The project is under construction on 1.14 acres at the high-profile corner of Marine Drive and Oxford Street – on the former White Rock Muffler site, plus two neighbouring Buena Vista Avenue lots.

First proposed in 2011 – and the subject of much concern for area residents in the months that followed – it received the go-ahead from White Rock council in March 2013, and celebrated its groundbreaking in May of the following year.

Bottrill said the section in question fronts Marine Drive. The development as a whole will be checked for compliance with zoning once complete, he said.

“They need to be complying.”

Reached last week, a representative of developer LLW Holdings Ltd. told PAN he “had no information” regarding the height issue.

 

Just Posted

South Surrey man and city settle beef over backyard cow

Asad Syed, who kept a calf on his property last year, met City of Surrey in court Tuesday

UPDATE: ‘Hold and secure’ at Elgin Park Secondary lifted

‘No evidence located to substantiate a threat,’ says Surrey RCMP

Surrey RCMP doesn’t expect big hit in light of projected $10M cut in B.C. budget

Public safety minister says RCMP informed province about projected budget deficit

Surrey’s Sourdif among A-list ‘Players to Watch’ for NHL Entry Draft in Monteal next June

The right-shot forward has eight goals and nine assists with Vancouver Giants this season

North Delta actor makes her debut in new Apple TV+ series ‘See’

In a dystopian future where humans can no longer see, society’s rocked by the birth of sighted twins

VIDEO: B.C. to restrict nicotine content, bring in 20% tax on vaping products

Province will also restrict candy and fruit flavoured vaping products to adult-only stores

Seguin lifts surging Stars to 4-2 win over Canucks

Dallas is 6-0-1 in last seven outings

UPDATE: Metro Vancouver bus drivers to refuse overtime as transit strike escalates

Overtime ban could disrupt 10-15 per cent of bus service in Metro Vancouver

‘City that protects rapists’: Sexual assault survivor slams Kelowna mayor for defending RCMP

Heather Friesen spent the morning handing out flyers around city hall calling out the mayor

Batten down the hatches: Wet and windy weekend on the way for coastal B.C.

Environment Canada issues special weather warning for Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island

BC Liquor Stores to move fully to paper bags by March

Vancouver Island to be the first to convert to paper bags in November

B.C. RCMP investigating stolen boots, credit cards, booze, and beauty products

Langley RCMP investigating property crimes, including credit card fraud in Surrey

Tolko shuts B.C. divisions for two weeks over holidays

Head office to close from Dec. 23-27; two weeks’ downtime runs Dec. 21-Jan. 6

B.C. government working with RCMP to address $10 million in budget cuts

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth issues statement following report of RCMP cost-cutting

Most Read

l -->