Man who died not a victim of foul play: RCMP

Surrey RCMP have shut down part of King George Boulevard between 128 Avenue and Bridgeview Drive

Police respond to a body found in a minivan in North Surrey.

Police respond to a body found in a minivan in North Surrey.

Police and the B.C. Coroners Service now say a body found in a minivan in North Surrey this week was not a victim of foul play.

Rick, a homeless man working on a temporary basis at Discount Motors in North Surrey, said he heard two shots at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

About two hours later, an employee came in and said there was a man slumped over the driver’s side of a minivan.

Rick went to check it out and saw a Caucasian man in his 60s with extensive facial wounds.

He saw no gun or bullet casings at the scene.

As of late Wednesday, Surrey RCMP say they do not suspect foul play.

The BC Coroners Service now has conduct of the matter and will be continuing their investigation into the cause of the sudden death,” Surrey RCMP Cpl. Scotty Schumann said in a release.

Mounties also say there is no evidence there were gunshots.

“Based on initial observations it is not clear what the cause of death is and there is no apparent risk to the public,” Schumann said.

One witness said the van had been parked there when he drove by at 9 a.m.

Surrey RCMP shut down part of King George Boulevard between 128 and 132 Streets for most of the afternoon on Wednesday.

Anyone with more information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.solvecrime.ca.