More criminal charges laid in connection with rash of shootings

Half of the 30 gunfire instances in Surrey and Delta since March 9 are connected to drug turf war

More people have been charged in connection with a rash of shootings over the last two months.

Police named two more people who have been charged, including Pardip Brar, who faces 12 charges, and Rajvir Sunner (four charges).

Arman Dhatt had been arrested in Delta in March and faces 19 separate charges.

The information came out Tuesday as police indicate they continue to chip  away at two groups responsible for half of the 30 shootings in Surrey and Delta since March 9.

The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit (CFSEU-BC), Surrey Mounties and Delta Police are involved in several enforcement and covert operations in order to identify witnesses, increase intelligence, and disrupt the illegal activities of the groups involved.

Police believe 15 of the shootings are a result of two groups responsible for dial-a-dope operations (drug delivery by phone), groups Mounties describe as  of South Asian and Somalian descent. The violence is believed to be the result of a turf war over the drug trade.

The victims of the shootings remain uncooperative, police say.

In addition, during the enforcement operations, 40 vehicles failed to stop for police.

Police officers don’t pursue fleeing vehicles when it is deemed that doing so could endanger the public. On one occasion, a CFSEU-BC marked car was rammed by a suspect vehicle to avoid the traffic stop.

Despite the challenges, police say they are having some success.

Since April 1, police have checked 499 vehicles, issued 198 tickets, and seized 21 cars and 13 weapons, along with $23,730 in cash.

“Police are doing everything they can to eliminate this threat. We are also collaborating with the community on many levels to ensure that we utilize all of the tools and resources available, including new and innovative approaches,” said Chief Supt. Kevin Hackett, Officer in Charge of the CFSEU-BC.

On April 20, a dedicated tip line was launched to gather information about the shootings. To date, there have been 131 calls to the tip line, with 14 being of high value to the investigations.

Police ask anyone with information on any of the shootings to call the tip line at 604-915-6566.

 

 

Just Posted

Non-Semiahmoo First Nation members opt out of footing connection costs: chief

Long-term resident who can’t pay $50K fee, says he ‘hasn’t a clue’ where to go now

PHOTOS: Fabric-formed concrete strengthens new Surrey gallery show and house under construction

Designer Omer Arbel’s work in ‘Particles for the Built World’ exhibit and at South Surrey home

Drivers injured, children OK after school-bus crash in Surrey

Incident happened near 68th Avenue and King George Boulevard

Police release photos of suspect in attempted gas station robbery in Surrey

Surrey RCMP say suspect took off without taking any money after he bear sprayed employee

Health Canada issues second warning on Surrey herbal clinic products

People advised to ‘immediately’ stop using A1 Herbal Ayurvedic Clinic Ltd. products

Eggs in South Surrey bald-eagle preserve hatch

Douglas-area eagle nest livestreamed online

Prince George sweeps to first-ever BC Hockey League crown

Spruce Kings beat Vernon Vipers 3-1 in the Okanagan Wednesday for 13th straight playoff win

Hwang’s first MLS goal lifts Whitecaps to 1-0 win over LAFC

Vancouver picks up first victory of season

Man identified in Vancouver’s fourth homicide of the year

30-year-old man was not known to police

RCMP locate missing Colony Farm psychiatric patient

Patient left last week on day pass from the hospital in Coquitlam

600 volunteers sign up to recall Maple Ridge MLAs over housing problems

Organizer urges province to reconsider position on Burnett modulars

Child-proof your windows ahead of warm weather: B.C. expert

Fifteen children were taken to BC Children’s Hospital for falls in 2018

B.C. trucker pleads guilty to lesser charges in fatal Manitoba crash

Gurjant Singh was fined $3,000 and given a one-year driving prohibition.

Australian author reacts to Chilliwack school trustee’s ‘book banning’ statements

John Marsden responds to ‘horror and outrage’ from adults about mildly sexual thoughts in his novel

Most Read

l -->