New COVID outbreak reported in Lower Mainland care home

New COVID outbreak reported in Lower Mainland care home

A long-term care residence at Langley Memorial Hospital initiates outbreak protocols as of Monday

UPDATE FROM DR. BONNIE HENRY TUESDAY:

During the daily briefing on Tuesday, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry annnounced 10 new COVID-19 cases and no new deaths.

She also took a moment to mention the the local updates.

“There has been a new healthcare facility outbreak at the Maple Hill long-term care facility at Langley Memorial Hospital in the Fraser Health region. In total, five long-term care or assisted-living facilities continue to have active outbreaks,” she said.

Of the five care centres in B.C., two are in Langley, the Langley Lodge and the Maple Hills. Details both mentioned below.

••••

As of Monday, all remaining cases of people diagnosed with COVID at Langley Lodge have reportedly recovered. But while that outbreak appears to have stablized, a new outbreak has been declared in another local healthcare facility.

Maple Hill Centre, a long-term care unit at Langley Memorial Hospital, has a confirmed an outbreak as of today (Monday, June 15), Fraser Health (FHA) confirmed online. Reports indicate there is just one reported case, and that the resident is in self-isolation at his/her home within the long-term care centre.

No further details were available – although the outbreak FHA website also lists an outbreak of Clostridioides difficile infection (CDI) within the hospital, also located on the same grounds as Maple Hill.

This announcement comes after B.C.’s top doctor, Bonnie Henry said earlier in the day that there were no new healthcare facility outbreaks. In total, she said, four long-term care or assisted-living facilities continue to have active outbreaks.

In this afternoon’s briefing, she reported 36 new cases since Friday, for a total of 2,745 cases in B.C. Of those, there are 182 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 2,395 people who tested positive have recovered. And since the pandemic started, there have been 168 deaths in the province.

RELATED: B.C.’s new COVID-19 cases remain low, no deaths since Friday

.

Huge thank you to community

Langley Lodge, which is a long-term care facility built in the centre of Langley City back in 1974, is one of only a few care homes or seniors rental buildings still designated with an ongoing COVID-19 outbreak within the Fraser Health region.

READ MORE: Fraser Health takes charge of COVID response at Langley Lodge

While Lodge’s chief executive director Debra Hauptman shared Monday that there were no new resident cases of COVID and all of the remaining cases have recovered, she took time to also expressed a “huge thank you to our community.”

During the past three month, she said the Lodge has seen a tremendous amount of support, love, and caring from their families and the community at large.

“This outpouring of support lifts our spirits, and keeps up hope and strength for an end to our outbreak,” Hauptman said.

“At this time, we would like to acknowledge all of the individuals and organizations that have reached out. We have received individually packed lunches for staff, small gatherings of locals showing love and support in our parking lot, drive-by’s, instant outdoor mini-concerts, and many donations of small gifts for the residents. It has touched our hearts and we thank you.”

Langley Lodge was first hit with a COVID outbreak in March 30. That outbreak was subsequently declared over April 25. Then, just three days later on April 28, another outbreak was declared that went on to claim 24 lives – the largest number of deaths at any single long-term care facility in the province since the pandemic was declared in March.

“We are in the process of planning for eventual return to more normal activities for our residents,” Hauptman said Monday.

“We are happy to report that the second and third floor droplet precautions have been removed. Staff are spending time with these residents, supporting them with social distancing, hand hygiene, and small activities (two-four people only). We are hopeful that we will be able to gradually complete this process for all floors next week,” she added.

” We know these are important steps, as we return to a more normal quality of life for all of our residents.”

Langley Lodge was not the only seniors care facility to report an outbreak in the months since this pandemic hit. Chartwell Independent Living’s Langley Gardens long-term care facility also had an outbreak back at the end of March. That was officially declared over at the beginning of May. There were no deaths reported at the Walnut Grove centre that provides long-term care, assisted living and independent living.

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

Email: news@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

CoronavirusHealthHealthcareSeniors

 

Langley Lodge, a long-term care facility opened in 1974, is located in the centre of Langley City on 204th Street. It has been the focus of an outbreak with a lose of more than two dozen residents related to COVID. (Langley Advance Times files)

Langley Lodge, a long-term care facility opened in 1974, is located in the centre of Langley City on 204th Street. It has been the focus of an outbreak with a lose of more than two dozen residents related to COVID. (Langley Advance Times files)

Just Posted

Elgin Park Secondary students rally for climate change outside of their South Surrey in 2019. (Nick Greenizan photo)
City of Surrey set to host online climate-action panel

June 23 Zoom event to include speakers, question-and-answer period

(Photo: Tom Zytaruk)
Surrey council moves to reduce parking along rapid transit corridors

This also targets rental housing developments in Rapid Transit Areas

West Coast Duty Free president Gary Holowaychuk stands next to empty shelves inside his store on Tuesday (June 15). (Aaron Hinks photo)
Revenue down 97% at South Surrey duty free as owner waits for U.S. border to reopen

Products approaching best before dates had to be donated, others destroyed

TEASER PHOTO ONLY
Surrey singer soars into Searchlight song contest’s top 10 with ‘It Doesn’t Matter’

Argel Monte de Ramos is among ‘popular vote’ finalists, with winner to be announced June 22

A handful of White Rock Divers qualified for Junior Development National Diving Championships after strong showings at virtual meets earlier this spring. (Contributed photo)
White Rock Divers qualify for junior-development nationals

Six divers make cut for national event after strong performances at virtual meets

Maxwell Johnson is seen in Bella Bella, B.C., in an undated photo. The Indigenous man from British Columbia has filed complaints with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal and the Canadian Human Rights Commission after he and his granddaughter were handcuffed when they tried to open a bank account. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Heiltsuk Nation, Damien Gillis, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
VIDEO: Chiefs join human rights case of Indigenous man handcuffed by police in B.C. bank

Maxwell Johnson said he wants change, not just words, from Vancouver police

For more than a year, Rene Doyharcabal and a small group of neighbours in Langley’s Brookswood neighbourhood have been going out every evening to show support for first responders by honking horns and banging pots and drums. Now, a neighbour has filed a noise complaint. (Langley Advance Times file)
Noise complaint filed against nightly show of support for health care workers in B.C. city

Langley Township contacted group to advise of complaint, but no immediate action is expected

Raeya Evie Duncan was the 100th baby born at Chilliwack General Hospital for the month of May. She is seen here with her parents Alysha Williams and Andrew Duncan on June 12, 2021. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
Baby boom in Chilliwack as record number of infants born at CGH in May

‘COVID babies are coming out,’ says dad of 100th baby born at Chilliwack General Hospital last month

A nurse prepares a shot of the COVID-19 vaccine at the Yukon Convention Centre in Whitehorse on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Thomas
Vancouver couple pleads guilty to breaking Yukon COVID rules, travelling for vaccine

Chief Judge Michael Cozens agreed with a joint sentencing submission,

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

An inmate in solitary confinement given lunch on Tuesday, May 10, 2016. THE CANADIAN/Lars Hagberg
22-hour cap on solitary confinement for youth in custody still too long: B.C. lawyer

Jennifer Metcalfe was horrified to hear a youth had spent a total of 78 straight days in isolation

The Abbotsford International Airshow is back for 2021 with the ‘SkyDrive’ concept.
Abbotsford International Airshow returns for 2021 with ‘SkyDrive’

New format features a drive-in movie type experience, show set for Aug. 6 to 8

People line up to get their COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre, Thursday, June 10, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Vaccines, low COVID case counts increase Father’s Day hope, but risk is still there

Expert says people will have to do their own risk calculus before popping in on Papa

B.C. Premier John Horgan listens as Finance Minister Selina Robinson presents the province’s latest budget, April 20, 2021. The budget projects $19 billion in deficits over three years. (Hansard TV)
B.C. government budget balloons, beyond COVID-19 response

Provincial payroll up 104,000 positions, $10 billion since 2017

Most Read