The 77-year-old Pattullo Bridge requires $100 million in safety and maintenance upgrades even though a new replacement bridge is also planned.

Pattullo Bridge work may disrupt traffic for up to three years

Business leaders want Port Mann tolls cut during Pattulo safety upgrades, considered essential despite plan for new bridge

The Pattullo Bridge could face one to three years of work starting late next summer that will require frequent lane closures if not complete shutdowns at times.

TransLink vice-president of infrastructure management Fred Cumming said it’s too soon to say how much disruption there will be to traffic, adding details on lane closures are expected to be determined by early spring.

Business leaders in Surrey and New Westminster this month called on the province to reduce or suspend the tolls on the Port Mann Bridge while maintenance proceeds on the Pattullo, which they say won’t offer the reasonable, free alternative to the tolled Highway 1 crossing required under provincial policy if the work causes severe congestion.

A transportation ministry spokesman said the province could not yet respond to the call for toll relief because TransLink is still working on the traffic management plan.

The province has previously said the Alex Fraser Bridge can also serve as the free alternative to the Port Mann if the Pattullo is eventually tolled as well.

TransLink plans $100 million in rehabilitation work at the Pattullo.

That includes replacement of the bridge deck and several seismic upgrades, including adding a concrete jacket to strengthen three bridge piers that have been cracking, reinforcement of some steel girders, and installation of new bearings designed to hold the bridge spans in place on top of the piers.

Cumming said the 77-year-old bridge is in danger of failing from a moderate earthquake, a ship collision or river erosion and the money must be spent even though TransLink intends to replace the Pattullo with a new $1-billion bridge within seven to 10 years.

The new bridge is one of the projects in the mayors’ council vision going to a regional referendum on a proposed 0.5 per cent PST increase.

TransLink officials have previously said they would seek to replace the bridge – which would be funded by tolls – even if the referendum is defeated.

The replacement would be a modern four-lane bridge, designed for potential expansion to six lanes.

“Regardless of the timing of the replacement, we have to rehabilitate to improve the bridge to protect the driving public,” Cumming said. “Right now we’re at a high risk.”

The age and width of the bridge also complicates decisions on how to manage traffic during construction to protect workers and motorists, he said, adding TransLink is consulting the province.

Complete closures of the bridge may be necessary at some times.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

B.C. announces regional cancer treatment centre to be included in new Surrey hospital

Services expected to include treatment, supportive care, research, education, innovative technologies

Cloverdale store owner giving away free face shields

Tricia Ellingsen offering more than 200 free protective shields

Two new recycling trucks on the way for White Rock

Council approves higher cost to reduce operations yard problems

Politicians want Surrey’s Civic Distinction Awards done ‘virtually,’ not postponed

City staff recommended they be put off to the fall of 2021 because of the pandemic

Tree falls across road in Surrey

Crews on scene to clear the debris

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

‘Tiny home’ being built for Abbotsford woman with severe allergies

Online campaign raises $59,000 for custom cargo trailer for Katie Hobson

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Acclaimed B.C. actor Brent Carver passes away

Carver, one of Canada’s greatest actors with a career spanning 40 years, passed away at home in Cranbrook

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Canucks blank Wild 3-0, take series lead in penalty-filled NHL qualifying clash

Jacob Markstrom stops 27 shots to lead Vancouver past Minnesota

North Okanagan man chains himself to tree in protest of construction

Crews began work clearing space for a new facility Thursday, Aug. 6

Most Read

l -->