Plans for dead-end South Surrey road raise concerns

City of Surrey staff to meet with residents Aug. 31

Allison Zhu

Residents concerned with changes planned for a dead-end stretch of 16A Avenue have asked the city to put a hold on storm sewer upgrades that are set to get underway as early as this week, to allow residents time for input.

Helen Armstrong and Linda Long say residents have been given conflicting information regarding what will happen to mature trees in the subject area, and that they haven’t received written notice as to the scope of the work.

They’re also concerned with city plans to push 16A Avenue through to 156 Street – a move they say will create safety issues for pedestrians, many of whom are elderly, and increase pressure on an already frustrating parking situation.

“We’re concerned… once the work starts, it’s next to impossible to reverse the work,” Armstrong said Wednesday. “Our best opportunity to work together is before shovels and bulldozers.”

City officials say the storm-sewer work is related to the hospice facility that is to be built at 15433 16A Ave. It will involve removing “a number of trees along the north side of the road,” acting general manager Don Luymes confirmed.

“They’ll try to save as many trees as possible,” Luymes said, noting work was authorized when the hospice project was approved last month and will get underway “shortly.”

As for pushing 16A Avenue through, Luymes said that work has been in the city’s plan “for years,” and will likely proceed once a 200-bed residential-care facility proposed by Peace Arch Hospital and Community Health Foundation for the corner of 156 Street and 17 Avenue gets the go-ahead.

“The opening of 16A Avenue has been in the city plan for a long time and I would say is necessary.”

Armstrong and Long emphasized that none of the area residents are opposed to the either facility, they just don’t see how pushing 16A Avenue through will be of any benefit. Traffic volume and speed will increase, more trees would have to be removed and the “quiet, stately” street would be no more.

“We’re not trying to bully the city into doing something,” Long said. “Our main purpose is for the good the community. We’re trying to work with them.”

Luymes said staff are willing to hear residents’ concerns, and a meeting is set for Aug. 31.

“Staff’s position is it’s likely that that link is necessary, but there may be different ways of doing it… that alleviate some of the concerns.”

 

Just Posted

Another 250 units proposed for booming block in Clayton neighbourhood

New developments join list of projects popping up near new Salish Secondary, future community centre

PHOTOS: Beach day in White Rock

Summer heat brings locals and tourists to the beach

VIDEO: Gone Country success means so much to cancer patient

Mother of three, recovering from breast cancer treatment, makes it to seventh annual charity concert

PHOTOS: High-flying fun at 2019 Boundary Bay Airshow

Thousands came out for the free annual event on Saturday, July 20

Police ask for help locating missing men who were last seen in South Surrey

Jeep that Richard Scurr and Ryan Provencher were in has been located unoccupied in Logan Lake: RCMP

VIDEO: Young couple found dead in northern B.C. had been shot, police say

Chynna Noelle Deese of the U.S. and Lucas Robertson Fowler of Australia were found along Highway 97

Hazmat incident closes down Lower Mainland street

One person is believed to be dead, police said

VIDEO: Man found dead near B.C. teens’ truck could be linked to a double homicide

RCMP said they are looking for Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, of Port Alberni

Latest plan is to fly trapped fish by helicopter over Big Bar slide

Multi-pronged plan set in motion to freesalmon blocked by landslide in the Fraser River

Family of missing B.C. senior with dementia frustrated with situation, heartened by community support

Nine days since Grace was last seen the question remains: ‘How can an 86-year-old just disappear?’

Unsealed record suggests U.S. man convicted of murdering Vancouver Island couple left DNA on zip tie in 1987

William Talbott is set to be sentenced Wednesday in the murders of Jay Cook and Tanya Van Cuylenborg

Okanagan Air Cadet challenges gender-exclusive haircut policy

Haircut regulation inspires challenge around gender identity

Pride flags stolen from Lower Mainland church

Went missing sometime Friday night, says Maple Ridge reverend

25 new wheelchair-accessible cabins open at Cultus Lake Provincial Park

Maple Bay Campground is now home to 25 new wheelchair friendly cabins, a first for BC Parks

Most Read

l -->