A “targeted” shooting of a man in South Surrey ended in a police standoff that lasted several hours Saturday evening.
During that time, the public was warned by Surrey RCMP to “stay out of the area.”
Officers were called to the 1300-block of Pacific Highway (176 Street) at about 7:15 p.m. after reports of a shooting.
“There was a dispute that occurred between two guys who were known to each other. One of them was alleged to have shot the other,” Cpl. Scotty Schumann told Peace Arch News Monday.
The victim was transported to hospital with a “non-life-threatening gunshot wound.”
“When we got there, we had found the guy who had been shot. We got him off to hospital, we knew that the suspect was still on scene, so we cordoned off the area and it played out from there,” Schumann said.
The Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team (ERT) officers secured the area while police negotiators attempted to contact the suspect.
“The property, I understand, in the front (there are) several greenhouses and there’s a residence or two there. I know that the suspect was (held) up in one of the residences while we were negotiating with him,” Schumann said.
Surrey RCMP issued a news release at 9:45 p.m. that evening, advising the public to avoid the area. Pacific Highway was closed to traffic between 8 Avenue and 16 Avenue.
“Police are asking motorists, pedestrians and transit users to stay out of the area,” the release said. “As this event is unfolding updates will be made as they are available.”
About an hour later, another news release was issued.
“Police found one man who had been shot allegedly by another man who was still in the area,” it said. “The victim was transported to hospital and is in stable condition.
“Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team (ERT) officers have the area contained while police negotiators attempt to contact the suspect. Investigators believe that this incident is targeted and involves parties known to each other.”
Shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday, police advised that the incident came to a “peaceful resolution” and the suspect had been taken into custody at about 11:50 p.m.
Tuesday morning, Surrey RCMP announced that Surrey resident Kenneth Turpin, 70 has been charged with aggravated assault and intent to injure while using a firearm, and that he had a court appearance scheduled for that day after Peace Arch News press time.
“Turpin, who is not known to police, remains in custody,” the news release states.
Anyone with more information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502 or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-TIPS or www.solvecrime.ca