In its 2017 budget

In its 2017 budget

Province to match federal $2.2B pledge on transit

TransLink Minister Peter Fassbender announced the funds Friday in Surrey

The province has announced it will commit $2.2 billion over a number of years for the Metro Vancouver 10-year transit plan.

Peter Fassbender, the minister responsible for TransLink, made the announcement Friday in Surrey, along with Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner, who co-chairs the mayors’ council on regional transportation, TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond, and other officials.

WATCH: Metro Vancouver mayors push ahead with transit surge plan

Earlier this month, the federal government promised $2.2 billion for transportation projects in Metro Vancouver over 11 years, a promise welcomed by the mayors’ council. The province’s boost will also be spread out over 11 years.

RELATED: Transit users lose tax credit

When asked if these new funds will be used towards Surrey’s light rail project, Fassbender said the business case analysis is already underway, and “actual construction will be made clear as those businesses cases are finished.”

Phase Two, according to the mayors’ council, includes the light rail, a new Pattullo Bridge, and construction of the Broadway subway line.

It also focuses on expanding bus, SkyTrain and HandyDart services.

Fassbender did say the provincial funding match does not apply to replacing the Pattullo.

RELATED: Fassbender tells Metro Vancouver mayors to ‘suck it up’ on transit funding

The total funds from the two levels of government leave municipalities to fund the final 20 per cent.

The mayors’ council has “a number of ideas they are looking at,” Fassbender said, adding that as soon as its tables a plan, the province will work with them.

The goal is to have Phase Two approved by the end of this year and complete by 2027.


@ashwadhwaniashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.caLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.