A 11-year-old boy is rushed to hospital by air ambulance Thursday morning after suffering hot-water burns to his body.

A 11-year-old boy is rushed to hospital by air ambulance Thursday morning after suffering hot-water burns to his body.

Scalded boy airlifted in South Surrey

A young boy was rushed to hospital by air ambulance Thursday morning near Elgin.



A 11-year-old South Surrey boy was airlifted to BC Children’s Hospital Thursday after suffering hot-water burns to 25 per cent of his body.

Emergency crews were called to a home in the 2300-block of 138A Street just before 9 a.m. April 19.

Police say the second-degree burns – to his chest and right arm – occurred when the boy’s mother, who had been boiling eggs, turned to empty out the water, not knowing her son was behind her.

She immediately put the son in a shower to cool the wounds, and called 911.

He was transported by ambulance to nearby Chantrell Creek Elementary, where a helicopter lifted off with the victim, his mother and paramedics at 9:45 a.m.

School district officials confirmed the boy is not a student at the school.

Emergency crews at the scene said the boy’s injuries were not  life-threatening. Police confirmed he was treated and released from hospital later that day.

The incident, police say, is a good reminder to parents to be extra cautious when cooking around children; and for children to be mindful of keeping a safe distance in the kitchen anytime cooking is underway.