Sources employment services to close in White Rock, Cloverdale

Transition to new service to begin next year

Sources will no longer provide employment services in Cloverdale and White Rock.

Sources communications co-ordinator Tiffany Kwong confirmed to Peace Arch News Thursday that 30 staff are impacted by the change – 15 from Cloverdale and 15 from White Rock.

In a news release, Sources said future employment services will be provided by another agency next spring.

Sources has been providing employment services in Cloverdale and White Rock for more than a decade, the release states.

“This is disappointing news for us. It is a difficult time especially for our employment services team,” Sources CEO David Young said in a news release. “However, I am confident that with their new skills and abilities, they will secure new opportunities. We will be working with our staff to assist them.”

SEE ALSO: Community steps up to get Sources’ food bank truck on the road

Sources learned that they lost the bid to provide future employment services in the areas earlier this month.

“Letters received by SOURCES earlier in December state that The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction ‘determined that the MultiLingual Orientation Service Association for Immigrant Communities (MOSAIC) is the highest scoring Proponent with respect to the [Cloverdale and South Surrey/White Rock] Catchments.’”

The transition to the new service provider will take place over the next few months, with Sources winding up its employment services on March 31. Young told PAN Thursday that Sources will assist with the transition.

Young said that he doesn’t have the details as to why Sources wasn’t successful in renewing its contract, but “we will be asking for a debrief.”

He said he’s proud of the work his team did in White Rock and Cloverdale over the years.

“Absolutely. Our numbers speak for themselves and the feedback I’ve received from our clients has been enormously positive.”

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Surrey addictions officials say pandemic funding is wreaking havoc on those in recovery

Governments’ kindness taking its toll, recovery operators say

Influx of cross-border visitors to Peace Arch Park sparks concern COVID-19 could spike

Police, parks officials say patrols, education and signage have all been increased

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Safe Surrey under fire for ‘sickening’ social media posts accusing RCMP of murder

Mayor Doug McCallum says tweet, Facebook post ‘sent out by unauthorized person’

B.C. government releases designs for new Pattullo Bridge

Project expected to cost $1.377 billion, completed by end of 2023

11 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. as top doc urges caution amid ‘encouraging’ low rates

Dr. Bonnie Henry also announced that two care home outbreaks would be declared over

Father’s Day Walk Run for prostate cancer will be virtual event this year throughout B.C.

The annual fundraiser for Prostate Cancer Foundation BC has brought in $2.5 million since 1999

Dr. Bonnie Henry announces official ban on overnight kids’ camps this summer

New ban comes after talking with other provincial health officials across the country, Henry says

Senior man in hospital after unprovoked wolf attack near Prince Rupert

Conservation officers are on site looking for the wolf

VIDEO: NASA astronauts blast off into space on SpaceX rocket

Marks NASA’s first human spaceflight launched from U.S. soil in nearly a decade

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

B.C.’s police watchdog probing death of Richmond man in alleged shoplifting incident

Independent Investigations Office of B.C. is asking any witnesses to come forward

PHOTOS: U.S. cities brace for increasing unrest over police killing of George Floyd

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz has fully mobilized the state’s National Guard

Aldergrove zoo to reopen with staff in masks, one-directional visitor experience to tackle COVID-19

Its June 1 reopening will be ushered in by words from Darryl Plecas, Legislative assembly Speaker

Most Read

l -->