UPDATE: Southbound lane only on South Surrey overpass

Truck operator did not have permit for over-height vehicle: ministry

Repair work continues on the 152 Street overpass Tuesday, after it was struck by a truck Monday morning. (Nick Greenizan photo)

UPDATE: Drive BC tweeted at 5 a.m. Wednesday that the 152 Street overpass is open to southbound traffic only.

Traffic on two major South Surrey thoroughfares was rerouted for successive days this week, after a semi truck northbound on Highway 99, towing “equipment that’s used to crush cars,” struck the 152 Street overpass.

The incident – which involved what was described in a Ministry of Transportation news release as “an over-height commercial vehicle” – occurred just after 10 a.m. Monday.

As of Peace Arch News press time Tuesday, the overpass – along with one northbound lane of the highway – remained closed, and structural engineers were assessing the damage.

MoT bridge area manager Kellen Truant told PAN that three of the bridge’s girders – “the super-structure beams that carry the concrete deck” – were damaged by the impact.

While it was not the first time the overpass had been hit – a gravel truck, also northbound, impacted it six years ago – it did cause the most damage, Truant said.

In past incidents, it “looks like… small, superficial damage,” he said.

It took some time for traffic to be rerouted Monday, with vehicles seen continuing over the damaged overpass for about an hour after impact.

However, Truant said “everything was shut down” quickly.

“Safety was first and foremost,” he said.

One witness, who was at a nearby coffee shop at the time, told PAN at the scene, “It was a loud bang, like a bomb going off… just incredible.”

About four blocks north of the damaged overpass, the truck-and-trailer could be seen pulled off to the side of the highway. Debris – chunks of concrete, as well as pieces of the truck and its cargo – was also strewn along the road shortly after the impact.

Initial tweets from the ministry predicted the overpass – which is closed between 32 Avenue and Mall Access Road to South Point Exchange – would reopen by 5 a.m. Tuesday.

“With the help of structural engineers, ministry crews braced the structure in order to have one of the northbound lanes re-opened to traffic,” the release notes.

Truant said the assessment results would determine further steps, including when the overpass could be reopened.

The road closures caused much grief for drivers Monday afternoon. Northbound traffic on the highway was diverted at 16 Avenue; by noon, northbound traffic along King George Boulevard had backed up considerably, and Croydon Drive – which, for a stretch, runs parallel to Highway 99 – was also slowed by heavy traffic.

Truant confirmed that once repairs are complete, the ministry will “work with ICBC” to recoup costs of the damage. He noted the semi operator did not have a permit for the overheight vehicle.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

A photo of late-night scaffolding-installation work on the 152 Street overpass, shared through social media by the transportation ministry Tuesday morning. (Twitter photo)

Just Posted

‘We want to help’: As overdose deaths spike, beds lay empty at long-term Surrey rehab centre

John Volken Academy searching for ‘students’ to enlist in two-year residential treatment program

PHOTOS: B.C. Day long weekend on White Rock beach

Hundreds of families gathered at the beach Sunday

Seeds of Change Surrey to launch two new programs

United Way of the Lower Mainland donated $77,000

White Rock RCMP to host free bicycle registration clinic

Stolen registered bicycles are easier to return to proper owner if recovered

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Wildfire breaks out near Harrison Hot Springs

1.5 hectare fire is reportedly human caused

Police lay out details of mental health response in Abbotsford over long weekend

APD officers assist mental health team for three hours yesterday, man sent to hospital with injury

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Fraser Valley Bandits clinch playoff spot with win

Bandits down Niagara River Lions 70-57 on Sunday, improve to 3-2

Most Read

l -->