Brandon Teixeira, 27 (inset) is being sought on a first-degree murder charge in connection with the 2017 shooting death of Nicholas Khabra, 28, in South Surrey. (RCMP photo; file photo)

IHIT seeks ‘extremely violent’ man in connection with 2017 Crescent Road murder

South Surrey’s Country Woods neighbourhood site of search for suspect Wednesday night

The RCMP Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has confirmed that police activity in the 2700-block of Country Woods Drive Wednesday night was part of an ongoing IHIT investigation.

Thursday afternoon, IHIT followed up with a plea for public assistance in locating and arresting murder suspect Brandon Nathan Teixeira, 27, who they said is “believed to be extremely violent and poses a significant risk to public safety.”

IHIT spokesperson Cpl. Frank Jang described Wednesday’s incident as a “very fast-paced, dynamic situation that involved quite a few officers.”

“We were trying to make an arrest, but it was unsuccessful. We are still out trying to apprehend Mr. Teixeira and we’re hoping that the public can help us.”

Residents reported the heavy police presence to media Wednesday evening, and described K9 officers searching properties. Surrey RCMP originally told Global News that the police activity was likely police dog training, but retracted that information the following day.

Teixeira was charged Thursday with first-degree murder in the death of Nicholas Khabra as a result of a shooting on Crescent Road last October.

Teixeira is described as Caucasian, five-foot-10 and weighing 161 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes, a snake tattoo on the left side of his chest and a sleeve tattoo on his left arm.

Jang warned the public not to approach him, but to call 911 immediately after any sighting.

The shooting of Khabra took place in the early morning hours of Oct. 23, 2017.

READ: Man killed, woman in serious condition following South Surrey double shooting, Oct. 23, 2017.

READ: South Surrey shooting victim identified, Oct. 24, 2017.

READ: Crescent Road residence ‘not targeted’ in homicide, Oct. 25, 2017.

Surrey RCMP responded to a report of shots fired in the 14300-block of Crescent Road at 2:10 a.m.

They found Khabra suffering from gunshot wounds and he was transported to hospital where he later died.

Soon after the initial report, police received a call from a woman who said she had also been shot. The second victim was found at Exit 10 of Highway 99, off King George Boulevard, and was taken to hospital, where she was treated for injuries and was expected to recover.

At the time of the shooting, the woman – who has not been publicly identified – was said by police to be known to Khabra, and that they believed she was with him when the shooting occurred.

IHIT said last year that the investigation had led them to believe that Khabra’s homicide was a “targeted act.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or by email at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Just Posted

Stabbing at Surrey banquet hall sends man to hospital

RCMP says victim has ‘non-life threatening’ injuries, incident still under investigation

South Surrey parking ticket perplexes, frustrates

Theresa Delaney predicts more people will be wrongly ticketed

55-year-old man taken to hospital after fire at Surrey RV park

Firefighters find man suffering from smoke inhalation, burns to face and hands: battalion chief

Coldest Night an event for warm hearts

Sources’ White Rock event one of 130 walkathons across Canada on Feb. 23

Guatemala mission offers hope, health

Peninsula team to visit remote villages, build a home, in Piedra Blanca

B.C. students win Great Waters Challenge video contest

Video, mural and song about saving the salmon claims the top prize

Ammonia leak shuts down curling club in Nelson

It’s not yet clear when the leak was detected

Pavelski’s 31st goal helps Sharks top Canucks 3-2

Vancouver one point out of second NHL wild-card spot

Eight cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver outbreak

Coastal Health official say the cases stem from the French-language Ecole Jules Verne Secondary

Ontario police field complaints over Amber Alert for missing girl, 11, found dead

Some said the Amber Alert issued late Thursday for Riya Rajkumar disrupted their sleep

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

B.C. couple attacked with acid, slashed with knife in Vietnam

Warning, graphic images: Man has burns on 80 per cent of his body, slashed with knife

Northern B.C. First Nation clan says ancient tools found at pipeline work site

Archeologists from the Smithsonian Institute estimate one of the stones found dates back up to 3500 years

Most Read

l -->