In my opinion:
1. In White Rock, we need a leader who is prepared to tell the City of Edmonton – owners of Epcor – that they are no longer going to take advantage of the people of White Rock for such an essential service as our water supply. We will run it ourselves, thank you, without paying extra.
They are not going to make a profit at our expense.
2. The Oxford reservoir site is zoned for public use only, and is not for development.
3. Development of the Oxford, or any other Epcor property in White Rock, is not available for negotiations related to White Rock taking over the water service.
4. We will only pay the current depreciated cost of the facilities with no future considerations, as we will still have to capitalize them ourselves in the near future. We will not pay double for future capital requirements.
As an example, Epcor has determined that the Merklin reservoir has to be replaced, therefore it no longer has any value. The same goes for the # 5 well, which is to be abandoned.
5. The same is true for the Burlington Northern Santa Fe owned railway right-of-way, and its questionable assets such as the Little Campbell River Bridge, and the Nicomekl River swing-bridge.
All of these have minimal asset value.
Ken J. Jones, White Rock