City of White Rock’s pier signage regarding dogs on the structure. (Tracy Holmes photo)

LETTERS: Keep pier, promenade as dog-free zones

Editor:

As someone who walks the promenade daily, I have come to the conclusion that the dog trial is more about human behaviour than about dogs on the promenade.

Like the proverbial three wise monkeys who “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil,” dog walkers share the firm belief that everyone must be having a wonderful experience on the promenade due to the new arrival of furry friends.

I hate to be the one to cross the wise monkeys, but let me give you some examples of the undesirable side of this pilot project. I have confronted several dog walkers on the promenade that did not clean up after their dog, and/or had their dog off-leash. These folks were quite indignant that I complained about their irresponsible behaviour.

They all had a ready excuse as to why they were above the law and that I should mind my own business and get with the new program.

Mayor Walker has been adamant that absolutely no dogs are allowed on the White Rock pier at any time. It’s a heritage site, he said.Numerous additional “no dogs allowed” signs have been installed.

In spite of this, far too many dog walkers have illegally been using the pier.

The problem is so severe that two bylaw enforcement officers are often stationed at the foot of the pier, at great expense to the taxpayer, to act like schoolyard monitors to dissuade the indifferent, law-breaking dog walkers.

White Rock residents won’t hear all the facts of what’s been going on from the predominantly pro-dog task force because they will be filtering the flow of information to the public through their rose-coloured glasses. There will also be no facts revealed about public health or the environment. Just move along folks – don’t worry, be happy – everything will be fine.

I can only hope that council will wake up and wisely return to the model of no dogs on the promenade.

Dog walkers have always had access to 99.9 per cent of the city’s public spaces and certainly don’t need to conquer the last remaining 0.1 per cent – the promenade and pier.

This valuable, natural and cultural heritage asset must be retained as a dog-free zone.

Chris Plettenberg, White Rock

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

‘Lifting Hands’ mural on White Rock wall celebrates community’s COVID efforts

High school students, grads inviting health-care workers, emergency crews to add handprints

Surrey monitoring traffic as vehicles again clog city streets

Compared with city’s 2019 weekly average, deepest volume reduction was in late March with up to 46 per cent less vehicles

Refund emails from City of White Rock a ‘phishing’ scam

IT staff work to nullify security breach in ‘classic phishing campaign’

Art’s Scarecrow Festival returns in September

Sixth annual event will be different than previous events because of the pandemic

Surrey’s top cop is keynote speaker at Surrey Board of Trade AGM

Asssistant Commissioner Brian Edwards will be on deck at Tuesday’s ‘virtual’ meeting

B.C. records new COVID-19 death, 85 more cases; Horgan calls on celebrity help

This brings the total number of active confirmed cases to 531 across the province

Face masks for teachers can impact learning on young children, experts say

Face coverings, mandatory in most indoor public places across the province, can help limit the spread of COVID-19

Horvat scores 2 as Vancouver Canucks beat Blues 5-2 in NHL playoff opener

Game 2 in best-of-seven series goes Friday night

Teachers to get 2 extra days to prepare for students’ return, now set for Sept. 10

Students will first start with orientation and learn rules of COVID-19 classroom policies

High-volume littering at Cape Scott draws ire from hiking groups

Popular Vancouver Island hiking spot not closing, but frustration about crowding grows

SFU to drop ‘Clan’ varsity team name

The ‘Clan’ name is shortened from ‘Clansmen,’ and was introduced roughly 55 years ago

New Tory leader must build a strong team in Commons and for the campaign: Scheer

Scheer marked his final day in the House of Commons today as leader of the Opposition

B.C. to hire 500 more COVID-19 contact tracers ahead of fall

Contract tracers add an ‘extra layer’ in the fight against the novel coronavirus

Feds commit $305M in additional funds for Indigenous communities during COVID-19

Money can be used to battle food insecurity and support children and mental health

Most Read