Mahdi Halane, 18, was paralyzed by a drive-by shooting in 2006 in Whalley. He died in hospital in 2012, age 24. Fushpinder Singh Brar, 30, was charged with manslaughter in 2015. (PHOTO: Submitted).

Heart problems delay Surrey manslaughter sentencing

Surrey’s Mahdi Halane was shot in the neck in 2006 and died of kidney failure in 2012

A Surrey man was expected to be sentenced Monday for manslaughter for a drive-by shooting in Surrey in 2006, but didn’t appear in court because of a medical crisis.

Fushpinder Singh Brar, 32, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter using a firearm and was set to appear in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster on Monday for the Oct. 14, 2006 drive-by shooting in Whalley of Mahdi Halane, who was rendered a quadriplegic until his death six years later at age 24.

Brar’s lawyer, Phil Rankin, told Justice John Harvey on Monday that he was told by his client’s family about an hour before the 2 p.m. sentencing that he had been taken to hospital for a “suspected heart attack or heart trouble.”

The matter was set over to Dec. 7, to fix a date for the sentencing hearing, which was expected to take about two hours. Sheryl Wagner is the Crown prosecutor.

Mahdi Halane, an 18-year-old Queen Elizabeth Secondary grad, was out celebrating a friend’s birthday when he and his pals came across another group of friends who’d been in a fight at the Chevron gas station at 96th Avenue and 128th Street in Cedar Hills.

Police said the fight started after a man from another group spat and some of his spittle hit the pant leg of one of Halane’s friends.

READ ALSO: Suspect in fatal shooting faces judge nine years later

Halane was down the street, in a different car, and had nothing to do with the gas station incident. He apparently looked up from his front passenger seat, as bullets flew from a passing car, and was hit in the neck, severing his spinal cord and rendering him quadriplegic until he died of kidney failure on March 25, 2012, at the age of 24.

“For six years he was paralyzed, and he died,” his father, Osman Halane said in 2014, contemplating the horror of his son’s fate. “A lot of disaster we passed, and nightmare.”

READ ALSO: FOCUS — A Surrey family’s dreams destroyed by shooting

READ ALSO: EDITORIAL — Losing cool can lead to losing life

Nine years after the shooting, the Surrey RCMP arrested Brar, age 30 at the time, and he was charged with manslaughter. Sergeant Mike Hall, in charge of Surrey RCMP’s Unsolved Homicides Unit at the time, had been on the case since the night of the shooting and said police believe Halane was an innocent victim.

The victim’s sister, Juweria Halane, said that before the shooting her brother was a tall, athletic young man who loved basketball. Filled with life, he was a practical joker who easily made friends.

Asked Monday if she had any comment on Monday’s delay, she replied, “Other than the family being disappointed? That’s about it.”

Halane’s mother Safia and dad Osman brought their five children to Canada in 1997, from war-torn Somalia, hoping for a prosperous future for them here.

Below see a Surrey RCMP photo of the car Halane was shot in.



tom.zytaruk@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Tom on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Just Posted

Mother-daughter charged in 2017 torched-SUV killing in South Surrey now allowed contact

Judge grants Manjit Kaur Deo permission to connect with Inderdeep Kaur Deo through a lawyer

PHOTOS: One injured in shooting on South Surrey-Langley border

Shots reported near 194 Street and 34 Avenue, burned-out vehicle found in 18100-block of 12 Avenue

BIA floats idea of drive-through Santa Parade

If event goes ahead, ‘parade’ of cars would stream through fairgrounds

COVID-19 exposures reported at four more Surrey schools

Fraser Health has created a new webpage listing COVID-19 cases in schools

PHOTOS: South Surrey skunk family photo earns honourable mention in BC SPCA contest

Winners of society’s latest wildlife photography contest announced

VIDEO: B.C. to launch mouth-rinse COVID-19 test for kids

Test involves swishing and gargling saline in mouth and no deep-nasal swab

Machine pistol among 14 firearms seized from Alaska man at B.C. border crossing

Corey Scott Kettering faces charges of smuggling and prohibited firearm possession

70-year-old punched in the head in dispute over disability parking space in Nanaimo

Senior’s turban knocked off in incident at mall parking lot

CHARTS: Beyond Metro Vancouver, COVID-19 cases in B.C. haven’t increased much recently

COVID-19 case counts outside of Metro Vancouver have been level since July

Altercation with gunfire in Lower Mainland lands two in hospital

Quiet area of Langley was awoken at 5 a.m. Friday morning to a fight involving gun shots

Record-breaking 165 new COVID-19 cases diagnosed in B.C. in 24-hour period

Fifty-seven people are in hospital battling the novel coronavirus

B.C. teachers file Labour Relations Board application over COVID-19 classroom concerns

The application comes as B.C.’s second week of the new school year comes to a close

Young Canadians have curtailed vaping during pandemic, survey finds

The survey funded by Heart & Stroke also found the decrease in vaping frequency is most notable in British Columbia and Ontario

Report raises questions about COVID outbreak that killed 25 seniors at Langley Lodge

CEO defends leaked document that’s igniting queries about BC’s most deadly COVID outbreak

Most Read